"It's not good when you're cleaning your friend's place with a pitchfork and rubber boots," he said, standing in the charred building with a partly collapsed tin roof.
The business, owned by
Two other businesses, Racers Division and Mike's Tire and Auto, sustained less damage, but the
On Monday, the businesses' owners dealt with the aftermath.
"All the roof trusses burnt to a crisp," said
When the ceiling collapsed, some pieces of drywall fell on customers' cars, causing minor roof dents and scratched paint, but most damage to his business was from smoke.
"For the most part, we got very lucky," he said.
In the near future, a company in
"My long-term plan is to buy a property and not have a scenario where I have connected neighbors ever again," Cooper said.
Cooper moved Racers Division into the building three years ago and runs it with his wife, who is a mechanic for the business. He estimated about
"All of us are having a pretty hard time," he said.
On Monday, Evans spent hours sifting through the fire debris with his pitchfork. He said Walker didn't have many valuables inside, but he recovered some of memorable objects, including framed certificates, a wooden carousel horse and shelves.
Walker said that the fire brought out the best in her neighbors and friends.
"I can't feel too bad for myself, because I found out how many true, true friends I have."
After working in the building for nine years, Walker said her business shouldn't be affected because her clients can get Bowenwork done anywhere. Bowenwork is a "system of touch that initiates a series of responses through stimulation of the nervous, musculoskeletal, fascial and energetic systems of the human body," according to the
The Columbian is becoming a rare example of a news organization with local, family ownership.
Subscribe today to support local journalism and help us to build a stronger community.
"I saw clients in my house today," she said on Monday.
Walker said she will have to spend a few thousand dollars to replace equipment; she did not have renter's insurance.
On Sunday, the fire marshal's office blamed the blaze on a pile of rags that spontaneously combusted. When soaked with certain chemicals, piles of rags trap heat to a level that can cause an ignition, according to the
Riverside Laundry, which was the source of the fire on Sunday, was also the site of a minor attic fire in June.
A man who identified himself as the owner of the burned building, listed as
(c)2019 The Columbian (Vancouver, Wash.)
Visit The Columbian (Vancouver, Wash.) at www.columbian.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.