"If it had been a normal day with low, low winds, it would've went straight up," he said. "In this case, it laid down and was directly exposed to the barn to the south."
The owners had been able to save some full-grown pigs and chickens, but around a half-dozen piglets died in the fire that completely destroyed the first barn, West said.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire on the second barn and spared it from all but minor damage. They used a thermal camera to ensure embers hadn't fallen into or behind the hay kept inside. They left at
West said he suspects the fire was caused by a heat lamp used to keep the piglets warm. The owner didn't have insurance on the structure, and further investigation is unlikely.
Kalkaska EMS personnel checked another owner for burns on their hands but found only superficial burns, West said. Otherwise, no one was injured.
Recommended for you
(c)2017 The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.)
Visit The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.) at record-eagle.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.