Feb. 9—A speedy response from the
"If it wasn't for the very quick response from the
Renovations on the 163-old structure were nearly complete, with tenants selected from a pool of veteran applications; damage from the fire has pushed the opening day back 4 to 6 months.
"We're still moving forward, we're doing everything we can," Selectmen Chair
Officials said the cause of the fire was likely electrical, but the most significant damage was caused by smoke and heat rather than flames, in part due to the building's new icynene insulation trapping in the high heat.
"The smoke and heat damage throughout the building is extensive," Corley said. "The actual flame damage is isolated to the rear, newer-construction area."
Corley said the heat got so intense, fire lights in a room at the front of the building, the opposite side from the flames, melted off the walls.
After work by assessors and insurance companies is complete, the process will begin to strip back most of the sheetrock and finishes, re-insulate, re-sheetrock and replace the finishes.
The structure was built in 1857 as the
"We are pivoting and mobilizing to get back to work as soon as possible," Corley said."We will open this building. There will be veterans living there."
(c)2021 Wicked Local Northwest, Concord, Mass.
Visit Wicked Local Northwest, Concord, Mass. at http://concord.wickedlocal.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.