Jun. 4—A damaged electrical cord attached to a portable heater caused Wednesday afternoon's fire in an apartment on the top floor of a
The fire at Rachel Carson Hall, reported shortly before
It was contained to an apartment on the eighth floor of the
While fire officials at the scene said no one had been hurt, Brown said a building maintenance worker suffered smoke inhalation.
"We were blessed that there weren't any serious injuries," Mogus said, praising firefighters' efforts. "It could have been a lot worse."
Of the building's 60 apartments, 55 were occupied, with 62 people living there.
Although fire officials initially believed most of the building's residents would return Wednesday, that did not happen because the building's elevators and fire safety systems were not working, Mogus said. The front doors were chained shut Thursday.
Mogus said the
Mogus said residents of the first through fifth floors, and some on six, would be able to return Friday. It's not known when those living on the seventh and eighth floors would be able to return. Mogus said those living on the top floor would be out the longest.
Mogus said the fire caused an estimated
The first five floors are habitable, while two apartments on the sixth floor had minor water damage, Mogus said. On the seventh floor, five units were moderately damaged by water.
On the eighth floor, where the fire was located, the hallway was blackened, Mogus said. Adjoining apartments had smoke and water damage.
Resident losses were yet to be determined, as many had yet to return to their homes. Mogus said he believes damage to personal possessions will be minimal. He said tenants are encouraged to have renters insurance, but it is not required.
(c)2021 The Valley News-Dispatch (Tarentum, Pa.)
Visit The Valley News-Dispatch (Tarentum, Pa.) at www.triblive.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.