Arkansas seeks 2-year reprieve for state's hybrid Medicaid expansion - Insurance News | InsuranceNewsNet

InsuranceNewsNet — Your Industry. One Source.™

Sign in
  • Subscribe
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Home Now reading Newswires
Topics
    • Advisor News
    • Annuity Index
    • Annuity News
    • Companies
    • Earnings
    • Fiduciary
    • From the Field: Expert Insights
    • Health/Employee Benefits
    • Insurance & Financial Fraud
    • INN Magazine
    • Insiders Only
    • Life Insurance News
    • Newswires
    • Property and Casualty
    • Regulation News
    • Sponsored Articles
    • Washington Wire
    • Videos
    • ———
    • About
    • Meet our Editorial Staff
    • Advertise
    • Contact
    • Newsletters
  • Exclusives
  • NewsWires
  • Magazine
  • Newsletters
Sign in or register to be an INNsider.
  • AdvisorNews
  • Annuity News
  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Fiduciary
  • Health/Employee Benefits
  • Insurance & Financial Fraud
  • INN Exclusives
  • INN Magazine
  • Insurtech
  • Life Insurance News
  • Newswires
  • Property and Casualty
  • Regulation News
  • Sponsored Articles
  • Video
  • Washington Wire
  • Life Insurance
  • Annuities
  • Advisor
  • Health/Benefits
  • Property & Casualty
  • Insurtech
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Editorial Staff

Get Social

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
Health/Employee Benefits News
Newswires RSS Get our newsletter
Order Prints
August 9, 2026 Newswires
Share
Share
Post
Email

Arkansas seeks 2-year reprieve for state's hybrid Medicaid expansion

Tess Vrbin for the Arkansas AdvocateArkansas Times (Composite Blogs)

Arkansas officials asked the federal government Wednesday to allow the state's hybrid Medicaid expansion to continue through the end of 2028 after the Trump administration denied its request to renew the program providing health coverage to more than 200,000 people.

Last week, the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services verbally rejected Arkansas' request to extend the waiver for Arkansas Health and Opportunity for Me, known as ARHOME, through the end of 2031. The current waiver expires Dec. 31.

DHS Secretary Janet Mann sent CMS a letter asking to keep ARHOME valid for two more years in order to give the state time to create and implement a new Medicaid program, agency spokesperson Gavin Lesnick said in an email.

"CMS has signaled it will support efforts to ensure a smooth transition, and DHS looks forward to productive discussions on the extension in the near future," Lesnick said.

Mann's letter notes that ARHOME's non-renewal resulted from the One Big Beautiful Bill Act of 2025. The law imposed new rules regarding budget neutrality, which requires ARHOME not cost the federal government more than would be projected without the program.

Medical providers and experts have expressed concern about the added costs an already strained Arkansas healthcare system could face without the expansion.

Extra time to work with lawmakers on a new Medicaid system will allow DHS to act "as both good caretakers of the eligible individuals who rely on our services and good stewards of the taxpayer dollars that finance our critical mission," Mann wrote.

Arkansas was the first Southern state to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, but used a first-in-the-nation model that used expansion funds to purchase private insurance for those eligible. Centene announced its upcoming withdrawal from the program last month, and Lesnick said Thursday that this change is unrelated to CMS rejecting ARHOME.

Republican legislative leaders said last week that they hoped CMS would give them time to determine whether to change the state Medicaid program to managed care, fee-for-service or another model.

Senate President Pro Tempore Bart Hester, a Cave Springs Republican, said he doesn't believe his colleagues will support continuing Medicaid expansion in next year's legislative session. Arkansas' Medicaid expansion program has faced multiple attempts to kill it or limit who can access it since it began in 2013.

The state has been preparing to roll out new requirements for the expansion that'll take effect next year under the One Big Beautiful Bill, with thousands expected to lose coverage because of the mandate.

Arkansas previously imposed work requirements on Medicaid expansion recipients in 2018, but a federal judge struck down the program after more than 18,000 Arkansans lost coverage.

"Helping capable individuals transition off the sidelines so we can focus resources on those truly in need remains a top priority," Mann wrote to CMS. "Shifting to a new program on the same day we initiate the new work requirement policy could distract from those efforts."

Camille Richoux, health policy director for Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, said last week that losing Medicaid expansion would be "devastating" for Arkansas. Health experts have credited Arkansas' expansion for a drop in the state's uninsured rate and for a reduction in hospitals' costs for treating patients without insurance.

Richoux said in a Thursday statement that AACF supports the state's effort to seek extra time to change its Medicaid model.

"Taking the time to thoughtfully build and carefully transition to a new system is the best way to minimize disruptions in coverage, protect patients and Arkansas's larger health care system, and give state officials the opportunity to get this transition right," Richoux said.

A spokesperson for CMS said the agency does not comment on pending waiver requests.

Arkansas Advocate is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Arkansas Advocate maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Andrew DeMillo for questions: [email protected].

Older

Maryland Attorney General Opposes OppFi Bank Acquisition

Newer

Oregon poised to adopt double-digit health insurance premium hikes in 2027

Advisor News

  • The conversation almost no advisor is having yet
  • Why advisors should offer retirement-longevity planning
  • A hybrid approach outperforms the 4% Rule, researchers find
  • The missing piece in most retirement plans
  • Clients are bringing TikTok insurance advice into advisor meetings
More Advisor News

Annuity News

  • Industry pushes back on linking ‘financial strength’ to annuity illustrations
  • Sammons Enterprises & Sammons Financial Group Respond to Reports
  • The Manhattan Life Insurance Company Acquires Union Security Life Insurance Company of New York
  • Cayman Islands premier to meet with U.S. reinsurance regulators
  • Investigation finds deceptive sales, churning of annuities targeting postal workers
More Annuity News

Health/Employee Benefits News

  • Pennycuick Introduces Measure to Stem Fraud in State Health Insurance Program
  • Sand says he’d undo Iowa’s private Medicaid management on Day 1
  • Craig Carter: Health care costs that just ain't right
  • What Luigi Mangione’s celebrity says about Gen Z
  • Florida lost 450,000 ACA enrollees in 2026 as premiums rose an average of 37% nationally, new data shows
Sponsor
More Health/Employee Benefits News

Life Insurance News

  • Life Insurance Awareness Month: Time to Reassess Your Coverage
  • U-Haul Holding Company Announces Twentieth Annual Virtual Analyst and Investor Meeting
  • Securian Financial Increases Individual Life Retention to $10 Million, Strengthening Support for High-Net-Worth Life Insurance Market
  • Americans without children are less confident about retirement, Allianz finds
  • The conversation almost no advisor is having yet
More Life Insurance News

- Presented By -

NEWS INSIDE

  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Economic News
  • INN Magazine
  • Insurtech News
  • Newswires Feed
  • Regulation News
  • Washington Wire
  • Videos

FEATURED OFFERS

Press Releases

  • Classic Car Insurer OpenRoad Insurance Expands to 40 U.S. States in Two Years
  • How Aspire General Turned an Early Technology Bet Into Claims Automation at Scale with Kyber
  • Adjusto launches AI-Native contents claims services powered by its technology platform
  • URL Insurance Group Celebrates 40 Years of Service, Growth, and Industry Leadership
  • MassMutual Ascend Surpasses $2 Billion in Lifetime Advisory Annuity Sales, Reflecting Continued Momentum in RIA Channel
More Press Releases > Add Your Press Release >

How to Write For InsuranceNewsNet

Find out how you can submit content for publishing on our website.
View Guidelines

Topics

  • Advisor News
  • Annuity Index
  • Annuity News
  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Fiduciary
  • From the Field: Expert Insights
  • Health/Employee Benefits
  • Insurance & Financial Fraud
  • INN Magazine
  • Insiders Only
  • Life Insurance News
  • Newswires
  • Property and Casualty
  • Regulation News
  • Sponsored Articles
  • Washington Wire
  • Videos
  • ———
  • About
  • Meet our Editorial Staff
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Newsletters

Top Sections

  • AdvisorNews
  • Annuity News
  • Health/Employee Benefits News
  • InsuranceNewsNet Magazine
  • Life Insurance News
  • Property and Casualty News
  • Washington Wire

Our Company

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Meet our Editorial Staff
  • Magazine Subscription
  • Write for INN

Sign up for our FREE e-Newsletter!

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and money- making insights straight into your inbox.

select Newsletter Options
Facebook Linkedin Twitter
© 2026 InsuranceNewsNet.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • InsuranceNewsNet Magazine

Sign in with your Insider Pro Account

Not registered? Become an Insider Pro.
Insurance News | InsuranceNewsNet