With addition of Essential Extras, Anthem helps consumers improve their wellness by addressing key areas, such as nutrition, transportation, social isolation, and home safety
“Anthem strives to be a leader in developing innovative approaches that help address the dynamic needs of our Medicare consumers, and the introduction of Essential Extras is consistent with that goal,” said
Individuals enrolled in Anthem’s 2019 Medicare Advantage plans can select one of the following six services offered in the Essential Extras package that best fits their healthcare needs at no additional cost:
- Healthy Food Deliveries: Up to 16 delivered meals per health event, up to four events each calendar year (64 total). A qualifying health event includes being discharged from a hospital, if the consumer has a Body Mass Index (BMI) more than 25, and/or if he/she has an A1C level more than 9.0.
- Transportation: Up to 60 one-way trips per year to health-related appointments or to obtain a service covered by the health plan.
- Personal Home Helper: Up to 124 hours of an in-home health aide for respite care, home-based chores, and assistance with activities of daily living, as approved by a licensed care provider.
- Assistive Devices: Up to a
$500allowance for safety devices such as ADAtoilet seats, shower stools, hand-held shower heads, reaching devices, and temporary wheelchair ramps.
- Day Center Visits: Up to 1 visit per week for adult day center services, in order to help older adults who need supervision and assistance.
- Alternative Medicine: Up to 24 acupuncture and/or therapeutic massage visits each calendar year.
Some Anthem health plans already offer a benefit available in the Essential Extras package, such as delivered meals or transportation. If a consumer selects an Essential Extras option that is already provided in their health plan, the two benefits will be added together to ensure individuals have access to the full service as intended. For example, if a consumer enrolled in Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage (HMO SNP), which will offer 60 one-way health-related trips, chooses the 60 one-way transportation option from Essential Extras, that person will have 120 one-way health-related trips available to him/her.
Individuals who are interested in joining one of these health plans can enroll during this year’s Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP). The AEP began
For more details about Essential Extras and Anthem’s Medicare plans, consumers can call (855) 866-4236, which is available