3M said Friday that an order President
The company had already been trying to achieve that goal, for example securing approval from
The Trump administration, it said, has requested last weekend that 3M increase the number of masks from its overseas factories. The order, 3M said, allows the company to do that.
"Over the last several weeks and months, 3M and its employees have gone above and beyond to manufacture as many N95 respirators as possible for the U.S. market," the statement said.
The DPA order Trump issued on Thursday states that the company must prioritize orders from the
"We have been working closely with the administration to do exactly that, and we appreciate the authorities in the DPA that provide a framework for us to expand even further the work we are doing in response to the global pandemic crisis," the company said.
3M said earlier this week 80% of the masks were going to health care operations in areas hit the hardest. The other 20% were going to federal agencies, with the most going to
3M cautioned that one element of the order gives it concern -- that it must cease exporting respirators made in the
The company warns there are "significant humanitarian implications of ceasing respirator supplies to health care workers in
"In addition, ceasing all export of respirators produced in
3M also said it was continuing to act on reports of price gouging and unauthorized reselling of 3M respirators, working with the
"We look forward to working closely with the administration to implement yesterday's DPA order," the company said. "We will continue to maximize the amount of respirators we can produce on behalf of
(c)2020 the Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Visit the Star Tribune (Minneapolis) at www.startribune.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.