NAIFA Protects Your Business
Women have a lot of reasons to plan for Chronic Illness Care.
Women have a lot of reasons to plan for Chronic Illness Care.
Women have a lot of reasons to plan for Chronic Illness Care.
Click here to see this article in our upcoming redesigned website

P/C Insurers Association Offers Tips On Flooded Vehicles

Targeted News Service

CHICAGO, Nov. 7 -- The Property Casualty Insurers Association of America issued the following news release:

Hurricane Sandy has left a substantial number of flood damaged vehicles in its wake, and the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) is offering answers to questions that owners of damaged vehicles may have.

First and foremost, it is important to note that water damage to a vehicle is typically covered under an auto policy's comprehensive insurance coverage. Vehicle owners should be cautious about attempting to start a vehicle that has been exposed to flood waters and report any missing vehicles to the police.

"Like any total loss vehicle, the vast majority of insured vehicles will be disposed of via salvage auctions and branded as flood damaged or salvage according to the title laws of the state," said Bob Passmore, PCI's senior director, personal lines. "While a properly restored and properly titled and disclosed rebuilt salvage or restored flood vehicle can be a very economical option to purchase a car, consumers should know what they are getting, because there is always a chance that there will be problems down the road with corrosion or of malfunctions in the electrical systems."

A vehicle damaged in by a flood should have its title branded, but inconsistencies in state laws sometimes allowed titles to be 'washed' or have their brands removed when transferred in another state. But there have been several recent developments that make "title washing" much more difficult

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS), implemented in 2009, requires insurers to report total loss vehicles to a federal data base; it also requires states to share information on motor vehicle titles. Insurer reporting has been in place since 2009 and subject to a $1,000 per vehicle fine for non-compliance. There are no penalties for states that haven't complied, but currently:

section 32 states are fully participating in NMVTIS, meaning that they both supply title data and query the data base on every title transaction.

section New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Connecticut and Delaware fully participate.

section Another eight states provide data only, and 10 states plus the District of Columbia are currently in development.

section Low cost public access Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) checks are available from NMVTIS on

Leave trial and error behind with this powerful tried and true presentation.

There are also other sources of vehicle history information for used car buyers:

o Commercial vehicle history services like Car Fax, provide even more detailed vehicle histories. Car Fax is offering free flood damage VIN checks at

o A free VIN check is also available from the National Insurance Crime Bureau at

Vehicle owners whose vehicles have been damaged by flooding should take the following steps:

o If the water got above the floor boards, or the seats are wet, don't try to start the car. The electrical system is the most sensitive to water damage, and trying the start the car could cause more damage.

o Open the hood and check the air filter, which is easy to find under the hood. If it's wet, do not try to start the car.

o Report the loss to the covering insurer, and protect the car from further damage by covering any broken windows, etc.

Consumers can also do numerous things to avoid buying an flooded vehicle, particularly in cases of vehicles that have been improperly retitled:

o Check the vehicle history at, or via car fax.

o Ask the dealer or seller if the vehicle has been damaged before, ask to see the title and check for brands like "flood damaged" or "rebuilt salvage."

o Check the carpets and the seats for signs of moisture, especially the carpet in the trunk. If the carpets and upholstery is dry, does it look newer than the rest of the vehicle? Replacing seat covers and carpet may conceal water damage.

o Look for signs of corrosion or rust, particularly on the door hinges, hood springs and in the door opening where the door meets the body.

o Is there a moldy smell, or is the smell of cleaning products or air fresheners too pungent?

o Check the oil and the air filter for signs of water.

o Look at the headlights and tail lights; moisture can be trapped, making them appear foggy.

o Check anyplace where debris might settle after the water drains, such as wheel wells, in the seating tracks, under the spare tire, etc.

o Get a professional to inspect the car or ask to take the car to a mechanic for a thorough inspection.

Leave trial and error behind with this powerful tried and true presentation.

Some consumers may also want to know whether the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) may help with costs from flooded vehicles. Vehicle owners can apply for assistance for "reasonable needs and expenses" for vehicle damage not covered by insurance. Owners will likely have to prove that liability insurance requirements were met at the time of the loss, and aid is likely to come in the form of a loan that they will have to pay back.

TNS MT93 121108-4098408 61MarlizTagarum

Copyright: (c) 2012 Targeted News Service
Wordcount: 834


  More Property & Casualty

More Property & Casualty >>
  Most Popular Property & Casualty

More Popular Property & Casualty >>
Hot Off the Wires  Hot off the Wires

More Hot News >>

insider icon Denotes premium content. Learn more about becoming an Insider here.
Leave trial and error behind with this powerful tried and true presentation.