SUMMARY: In accordance with subsection (e)(12) of the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, the
DATES: The deadline for comments on this notice is
ADDRESSES: Interested parties may submit comments on the new matching program to the CMS Privacy Officer by mail at:
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: If you have questions about the matching program, you may contact
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (5 U.S.C. 552a) provides certain protections for individuals applying for and receiving federal benefits. The law governs the use of computer matching by federal agencies when records in a system of records (meaning, federal agency records about individuals retrieved by name or other personal identifier) are matched with records of other federal or non-federal agencies. The Privacy Act requires agencies involved in a matching program to:
1. Enter into a written agreement, which must be prepared in accordance with the Privacy Act, approved by the Data Integrity Board of each source and recipient federal agency, provided to
2. Notify the individuals whose information will be used in the matching program that the information they provide is subject to verification through matching, as required by 5 U.S.C. 552a(o)(1)(D).
3. Verify match findings before suspending, terminating, reducing, or making a final denial of an individual's benefits or payments or taking other adverse action against the individual, as required by 5 U.S.C. 552a(p).
4. Report the matching program to
5. Publish advance notice of the matching program in the
This matching program meets these requirements.
The statutory authority for the matching program is 42 U.S.C. 18001.
The purpose of the matching program is to provide CMS with
Categories of Individuals
The individuals whose information will be used in the matching program are consumers (applicants and enrollees) who receive the eligibility determinations and redeterminations described in the preceding Purpose(s) section (in particular, taxpayers whose return information is requested from
Categories of Records
The categories of records used in the matching program are identity information and return information (specifically, household income and family size information). To request return information from
2. family size;
3. tax filing status;
4. modified adjusted gross income (MAGI);
5. taxable year with respect to which the preceding information relates or, if applicable, the fact that such information is not available; and
6. any other specified item of return information authorized pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 6103(1)(21) and its implementing regulations.
System(s) of Records
The records used in this matching program will be disclosed from the following systems of records, as authorized by routine uses published in the System of Records Notices (SORNs) cited below:
A. System of Records Maintained by CMS
* CMS Health Insurance Exchanges System (HIX), CMS System No. 09-70-0560, last published in full at 78 FR 63211 (
B. System of Records Maintained by
* Customer Account Data Engine (CADE) Individual
Notice of New Matching Program.
Citation: "85 FR 8873"
Federal Register Page Number: "8873"