Embattled principal resigns immediately Paul Estabrooks had been accused of sexual harassment; will remain on payroll for 1 year - Insurance News | InsuranceNewsNet

InsuranceNewsNet — Your Industry. One Source.™

Sign in
  • Subscribe
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Home Now reading Newswires
Topics
    • Advisor News
    • Annuity Index
    • Annuity News
    • Companies
    • Earnings
    • Fiduciary
    • From the Field: Expert Insights
    • Health/Employee Benefits
    • Insurance & Financial Fraud
    • INN Magazine
    • Insiders Only
    • Life Insurance News
    • Newswires
    • Property and Casualty
    • Regulation News
    • Sponsored Articles
    • Washington Wire
    • Videos
    • ———
    • About
    • Meet our Editorial Staff
    • Advertise
    • Contact
    • Newsletters
  • Exclusives
  • NewsWires
  • Magazine
  • Newsletters
Sign in or register to be an INNsider.
  • AdvisorNews
  • Annuity News
  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Fiduciary
  • Health/Employee Benefits
  • Insurance & Financial Fraud
  • INN Exclusives
  • INN Magazine
  • Insurtech
  • Life Insurance News
  • Newswires
  • Property and Casualty
  • Regulation News
  • Sponsored Articles
  • Video
  • Washington Wire
  • Life Insurance
  • Annuities
  • Advisor
  • Health/Benefits
  • Property & Casualty
  • Insurtech
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Editorial Staff

Get Social

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
Newswires
Newswires RSS Get our newsletter
Order Prints
October 28, 2021 Newswires
Share
Share
Post
Email

Embattled principal resigns immediately Paul Estabrooks had been accused of sexual harassment; will remain on payroll for 1 year

Livingston County News (NY)

Paul Estabrooks has resigned as principal of the Caledonia-Mumford Middle School effective immediately. Under the terms of a separation agreement approved by the district's board of education, Estabrooks will remain on the district's payroll through Oct. 12, 2022.

In a letter posted to the district's website the morning of Oct. 21, the board said it agreed to the separation agreement to avoid the formal hearing process afforded Estabrooks as a tenured employee under state education law. Such a process could have worn on for months and resulted in significant attorneys fees and substitute staff costs, the board said.

"While the hearing was pending over several months, by law, Mr. Estabrooks would have been entitled to remain on the district's payroll and health insurance," the board wrote. "At the hearing, the district would have been required to call multiple witnesses, including staff members and potentially students."

The board said it determined it was in the best interests of students, staff and district taxpayers to avoid the uncertainty and "significant financial and human cost" of a hearing and to pursue an agreement that offered a quicker, cheaper resolution that would allow the district and community "to move forward together."

In addition to remaining on the district's payroll, the board said Estabrooks will be paid for accrued sick and vacation time, pursuant to Cal-Mum administrators' collective bargaining agreement, and the equivalent of four months of health insurance premiums.

"Mr. Estabrooks will no longer be on the district's health insurance as of Oct. 31, 2021," the board wrote.

The board did not specify on what grounds it would have pursued a hearing with Estabrooks had the two parties not reached a separation agreement.

Estabrooks, Superintendent Robert Molisani and Board of Education President John Bickford did not respond to requests for comment.

Past allegations

As the County News previously reported, Molisani announced in late August, before the school year started, that he had reassigned Middle School Principal Estabrooks to duties at the district's administrative office.

The reassignment followed reporting from the County News that at least three teachers had accused Estabrooks of engaging in acts of harassment, sexual harassment, gender discrimination and retaliation since 2016.

One of the teachers, who has since left the district, filed a federal lawsuit against Estabrooks, the district and Molisani in 2017 accusing Estabrooks of making inappropriate comments about her body and appearance, treating her differently because of her gender and then retaliating against her once she failed to respond favorably to his advances.

While the suit was dropped before a final determination was reached, an investigation into its central allegations conducted by New York's Division of Human Rights concluded "probable cause" existed to believe Estabrooks and the district "had engaged in unlawful discriminatory practices," court records show.

The district settled the suit out of court in 2018 for $47,500, less than the $121,571 Estabrooks earned in 2020, according to the government accountability website SeeThroughNY.net.

Multiple Cal-Mum employees told the County News earlier this month that they had not seen Estabrooks at work since the school year started in early September.

Since March 9, 2021, Cal-Mum's Board of Education voted to approve leaves of absence for at least six different district employees, meeting minutes show, but Estabrooks is not among them.

Speaking inside her home in Victor last week, Estabrooks's wife, Kirsten Estabrooks, did not respond when asked if her husband has been reporting for work at Cal-Mum the past couple of months, then asked the County News to leave her property.

Board approves agreement

Members of the district's board of education approved "a written agreement" between Molisani and "an employee of the district" during a special, previously unscheduled meeting Wednesday night. This written agreement and the separation agreement between the district and Estabrooks announced by the board in its letter Thursday morning are, presumably, one in the same, though Molisani did not respond to a request to confirm as much.

The board convened at 6 p.m. and immediately voted to enter into an executive session "to discuss the employment and employee history of particular persons and confidential students records." Executive sessions are closed to the public. At 6:23 p.m., the board reentered open session, voted unanimously to approve the agreement and then adjourned at 6:26 p.m.

After the meeting, Molisani declined to provide a copy of the agreement. He told the County News to file a request for access to records under the state's Freedom of Information Law, which allows government bodies to delay the release of public records - sometimes for significant lengths of time.

The County News submitted a freedom information request for the written agreement to Molisani and Jeremy Nardone, the district's records access officer, at 6:31 p.m. Wednesday. As of this writing, the district had not provided any records in response to the request.

Older

Santa Clara, Calif., Issues Public Comment on FEMA Notice

Newer

Be careful with Medicare calls

Advisor News

  • Succession planning: Building the future of your practice
  • From loss to security: Supporting widowed clients with life insurance
  • Plan now for lower Social Security benefits later
  • The conversation almost no advisor is having yet
  • Why advisors should offer retirement-longevity planning
More Advisor News

Annuity News

  • Empower Annuity Insurance Company of America Trademark Application for “EMPOWER WHAT’S NEXT” Filed: Empower Annuity Insurance Company of America
  • Industry pushes back on linking ‘financial strength’ to annuity illustrations
  • Sammons Enterprises & Sammons Financial Group Respond to Reports
  • The Manhattan Life Insurance Company Acquires Union Security Life Insurance Company of New York
  • Cayman Islands premier to meet with U.S. reinsurance regulators
More Annuity News

Health/Employee Benefits News

  • AmeriHealth Caritas Makes Strategic Investment in Deon Health
  • Report: 45,000 Wisconsinites dropped ACA health insurance after federal subsidies ended
  • 5 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT MEDICAID AND PROVIDER TAXES
  • Following changes to New York's Essential Plan, thousands remain uninsured
  • SEN. OSSOFF CALLS ON TRUMP ADMINISTRATION TO IMPROVE ACCESS TO MATERNAL CARE IN GEORGIA U.S. SENATOR FOR GEORGIA JON OSSOFF
Sponsor
More Health/Employee Benefits News

Life Insurance News

  • Modern Woodmen board selects Shea Doyle as next president and CEO
  • New Influenza Study Results from University of Auckland Described (Risk Management In Deadly Times: the Us Life Insurance Industry In the 1918-9 Influenza Pandemic): Influenza
  • AM Best Assigns Credit Ratings to InEvo Re Ltd.
  • Life Insurance Awareness Month: Time to Reassess Your Coverage
  • U-Haul Holding Company Announces Twentieth Annual Virtual Analyst and Investor Meeting
More Life Insurance News

NEWS INSIDE

  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Economic News
  • INN Magazine
  • Insurtech News
  • Newswires Feed
  • Regulation News
  • Washington Wire
  • Videos

FEATURED OFFERS

Press Releases

  • Classic Car Insurer OpenRoad Insurance Expands to 40 U.S. States in Two Years
  • How Aspire General Turned an Early Technology Bet Into Claims Automation at Scale with Kyber
  • Adjusto launches AI-Native contents claims services powered by its technology platform
  • URL Insurance Group Celebrates 40 Years of Service, Growth, and Industry Leadership
  • MassMutual Ascend Surpasses $2 Billion in Lifetime Advisory Annuity Sales, Reflecting Continued Momentum in RIA Channel
More Press Releases > Add Your Press Release >

How to Write For InsuranceNewsNet

Find out how you can submit content for publishing on our website.
View Guidelines

Topics

  • Advisor News
  • Annuity Index
  • Annuity News
  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Fiduciary
  • From the Field: Expert Insights
  • Health/Employee Benefits
  • Insurance & Financial Fraud
  • INN Magazine
  • Insiders Only
  • Life Insurance News
  • Newswires
  • Property and Casualty
  • Regulation News
  • Sponsored Articles
  • Washington Wire
  • Videos
  • ———
  • About
  • Meet our Editorial Staff
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Newsletters

Top Sections

  • AdvisorNews
  • Annuity News
  • Health/Employee Benefits News
  • InsuranceNewsNet Magazine
  • Life Insurance News
  • Property and Casualty News
  • Washington Wire

Our Company

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Meet our Editorial Staff
  • Magazine Subscription
  • Write for INN

Sign up for our FREE e-Newsletter!

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and money- making insights straight into your inbox.

select Newsletter Options
Facebook Linkedin Twitter
© 2026 InsuranceNewsNet.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • InsuranceNewsNet Magazine

Sign in with your Insider Pro Account

Not registered? Become an Insider Pro.
Insurance News | InsuranceNewsNet