Residents blast fireworks plan - Insurance News | InsuranceNewsNet

InsuranceNewsNet — Your Industry. One Source.™

Sign in
  • Subscribe
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Home Now reading Newswires
Topics
    • Advisor News
    • Annuity Index
    • Annuity News
    • Companies
    • Earnings
    • Fiduciary
    • From the Field: Expert Insights
    • Health/Employee Benefits
    • Insurance & Financial Fraud
    • INN Magazine
    • Insiders Only
    • Life Insurance News
    • Newswires
    • Property and Casualty
    • Regulation News
    • Sponsored Articles
    • Washington Wire
    • Videos
    • ———
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Contact
    • Editorial Staff
    • Newsletters
  • Exclusives
  • NewsWires
  • Magazine
  • Newsletters
Sign in or register to be an INNsider.
  • AdvisorNews
  • Annuity News
  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Fiduciary
  • Health/Employee Benefits
  • Insurance & Financial Fraud
  • INN Exclusives
  • INN Magazine
  • Insurtech
  • Life Insurance News
  • Newswires
  • Property and Casualty
  • Regulation News
  • Sponsored Articles
  • Video
  • Washington Wire
  • Life Insurance
  • Annuities
  • Advisor
  • Health/Benefits
  • Property & Casualty
  • Insurtech
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Editorial Staff

Get Social

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
Newswires
Newswires RSS Get our newsletter
Order Prints
October 23, 2014 Newswires
Share
Share
Post
Email

Residents blast fireworks plan

Leila Fujimori, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser
By Leila Fujimori, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser
McClatchy-Tribune Information Services

Oct. 23--A government contractor will find another site to dispose of 39 pallets of commercial-grade fireworks from a Waikele storage bunker after Nanakuli residents voiced strong opposition to setting them off on a property in their rural neighborhood.

"We have no other choice," Michael DeSousa, director of risk management, Mission Readiness Group, for URS Federal Services Inc., told the Hono­lulu Star-Advertiser on Tuesday night. "We've been told to reconsider. We have to reconsider."

DeSousa was referring to state Deputy Health Director Gary Gill's remarks at the end of Tuesday's Nanakuli-Maili Neighborhood Board meeting in which he told angry community members he would urge the contractor to find another disposal location that is more appropriate. If that fails, he would set a public hearing on the matter before a decision is made.

The neighborhood board voted unanimously to oppose disposal of the fireworks in the area. Most of the 120 people in attendance opposed setting off a portion of the 5,400 pyrotechnic devices once every month for six months.

The devices are a second set of fireworks, confiscated by the federal government and stored five years ago deeper in the same storage bunker where a fireworks explosion and fire killed five men in 2011, Gill said.

They were seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection for being mislabeled as 1.4G consumer-grade fireworks, when they were actually more potent 1.3G commercial-grade fireworks, and taken into the custody of the U.S. Treasury Department, which contracted URS, said Steven Chang, chief of the state Health Department's Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch.

DeSousa, dispatched by URS' Virginia office to address the concerns of the Nanakuli residents, did little to allay their fears and concerns when explaining the plans by URS' subcontractor Grucci Inc., a professional fireworks display company.

"Grucci selected this site because it had been used in previous years for New Year's displays," DeSousa told the residents.

Nanakuli-Maili Neighborhood Board member Patty Teruya said: "We're not going to support it.

"These are homes that can light up fast. You label these as explosives. You insult my community. It's an insult you propose something like this. ... We're not a dumping ground on the Waianae Coast."

Dixie Kalamau, a 76-year-old Nanakuli resident, said before the meeting: "I like know why. What they going to move to Nanakuli next? We have PVT (landfill for construction and demolition and solid waste material). We have the landfill (Waimanalo Gulch Landfill, Oahu's only solid-waste landfill). Illegal fireworks?"

She said a health official said the fireworks disposal would last only 25 minutes. "What does he mean? It's OK? To me, it's not OK. Period.

"Whatever happened in a bunker can happen here," she said. "Same thing."

Farmers expressed concerns that the large amount of fireworks would startle livestock, chickens and pets, cause them to bolt and affect egg production. Others were concerned about the health and safety of residents, including children and kupuna, renters who live on the property and homes all around.

Some suggestions for disposing of the fireworks were detonating them in a nearby quarry, putting them out on a barge, soaking them in salt water and taking them to a military site for detonation or a munitions dump.

DeSousa said Grucci's plan was to remove the fireworks from the bunker where the fatal explosion took place, store them in another bunker at the same Waikele facility, and truck 900 devices at a time to the proposed private property at 87-879 Paakea Road. The 1-inch-diameter tubes, 10 inches high, would be electronically fired up about 25 to 50 feet high, after 8 p.m.

"It will roughly take seven minutes to burn out 900 cakes," he said.

DeSousa said residents had a misconception that it would be stored at this location.

However, the public notice published Oct. 14 is for "an emergency permit for treatment and storage of waste fireworks to Grucci Inc., operator, and <person>Robert Hoohuli, landowner," immediately followed by the Paakea Road address.

The notice makes no mention of storage continuing at Waikele, only that they are currently stored there and need to be disposed of due to shelf life.

Neighborhood board members asked the Health Department to come to the community directly prior to publishing a public notice on such matters.

Chang said the department has dealt with munitions disposal by the military, including the Army, which brought in special equipment from the mainland to detonate a large amount of devices, but that equipment was returned.

He said the Health Department is looking into detonating the fireworks at Schofield Barracks, but that would require the Army to accept it.

He said in police-confiscated fireworks, the usual method is to put them into a 55-gallon barrel and explode them.

A 2013 federal report on the 2011 explosion and fire that killed five Donaldson Enterprises Inc. workers said the company obtained a 90-day emergency hazardous waste disposal permit to destroy the fireworks, which is what Grucci is seeking.

The report said that while the Health Department requested Donaldson's disposal plan, the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board found no evidence Health Department personnel conducted additional analysis to better understand Donaldson's plan.

___

(c)2014 The Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Visit The Honolulu Star-Advertiser at www.staradvertiser.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services

Wordcount:  870

Advisor News

  • LTC: A critical component of retirement planning
  • Middle-class households face worsening cost pressures
  • Metlife study finds less than half of US workforce holistically healthy
  • Invigorating client relationships with AI coaching
  • SEC: Get-rich-quick influencer Tai Lopez was running a Ponzi scam
More Advisor News

Annuity News

  • Trademark Application for “EMPOWER MY WEALTH” Filed by Great-West Life & Annuity Insurance Company: Great-West Life & Annuity Insurance Company
  • Conning says insurers’ success in 2026 will depend on ‘strategic adaptation’
  • The structural rise of structured products
  • How next-gen pricing tech can help insurers offer better annuity products
  • Continental General Acquires Block of Life Insurance, Annuity and Health Policies from State Guaranty Associations
More Annuity News

Health/Employee Benefits News

  • NC Medicaid leaders seek new funding strategy as work rules loom
  • Researchers to study universal health care, as Coloradans face $1 billion in medical debt
  • Study Findings on Chronic Pain Are Outlined in Reports from Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Associations of Source and Continuity of Private Health Insurance with Prevalence of Chronic Pain among US Adults): Musculoskeletal Diseases and Conditions – Chronic Pain
  • As health insurance costs rise, locals confront impacts
  • Plainfield, Vermont Man Sentenced to 2 Years of Probation for Social Security Disability Fraud
More Health/Employee Benefits News

Life Insurance News

  • Conning says insurers’ success in 2026 will depend on ‘strategic adaptation’
  • Bermuda tightens reinsurance regs, sees a decline in new entrants
  • The structural rise of structured products
  • AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of Members of Aegon Ltd.’s U.S. Subsidiaries
  • Corporate PACs vs. Silicon Valley: Sharply different fundraising paths for Democratic rivals Mike Thompson, Eric Jones in 4th District race for Congress
Sponsor
More Life Insurance News

- Presented By -

Top Read Stories

More Top Read Stories >

NEWS INSIDE

  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Economic News
  • INN Magazine
  • Insurtech News
  • Newswires Feed
  • Regulation News
  • Washington Wire
  • Videos

FEATURED OFFERS

Elevate Your Practice with Pacific Life
Taking your business to the next level is easier when you have experienced support.

LIMRA’s Distribution and Marketing Conference
Attend the premier event for industry sales and marketing professionals

Get up to 1,000 turning 65 leads
Access your leads, plus engagement results most agents don’t see.

What if Your FIA Cap Didn’t Reset?
CapLock™ removes annual cap resets for clearer planning and fewer surprises.

Press Releases

  • LIDP Named Top Digital-First Insurance Solution 2026 by Insurance CIO Outlook
  • Finseca & IAQFP Announce Unification to Strengthen Financial Planning
  • Prosperity Life Group Appoints Nick Volpe as Chief Technology Officer
  • Prosperity Life Group appoints industry veteran Rona Guymon as President, Retail Life and Annuity
  • Financial Independence Group Marks 50 Years of Growth, Innovation, and Advisor Support
More Press Releases > Add Your Press Release >

How to Write For InsuranceNewsNet

Find out how you can submit content for publishing on our website.
View Guidelines

Topics

  • Advisor News
  • Annuity Index
  • Annuity News
  • Companies
  • Earnings
  • Fiduciary
  • From the Field: Expert Insights
  • Health/Employee Benefits
  • Insurance & Financial Fraud
  • INN Magazine
  • Insiders Only
  • Life Insurance News
  • Newswires
  • Property and Casualty
  • Regulation News
  • Sponsored Articles
  • Washington Wire
  • Videos
  • ———
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Editorial Staff
  • Newsletters

Top Sections

  • AdvisorNews
  • Annuity News
  • Health/Employee Benefits News
  • InsuranceNewsNet Magazine
  • Life Insurance News
  • Property and Casualty News
  • Washington Wire

Our Company

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Meet our Editorial Staff
  • Magazine Subscription
  • Write for INN

Sign up for our FREE e-Newsletter!

Get breaking news, exclusive stories, and money- making insights straight into your inbox.

select Newsletter Options
Facebook Linkedin Twitter
© 2026 InsuranceNewsNet.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • InsuranceNewsNet Magazine

Sign in with your Insider Pro Account

Not registered? Become an Insider Pro.
Insurance News | InsuranceNewsNet