"We are just in a daze right now, to be honest with you," said
Haggans, her husband and their son,
"We looked up, and there was fire coming out in between the walls," Haggans said. "By the time we got over there with the fire extinguisher and the water hose, it just kept igniting. We just couldn't get it under control."
The Hagganses called 911 as fire spread quickly from the back of the shop to the front.
'IT WAS A MASSIVE FIRE'
"Our first personnel arrived on scene to a fully involved structure fire, out the roof," Jones said.
A video captured by a passerby showed flames shooting 30 feet in the air.
On the first tone, the
"It was basically a defensive attack because it was fully involved, and we had to protect the adjoining church that was behind the Pro
"It was a massive fire," Jones said. "In an auto repair shop, you are going to have motor oil, tires on vehicles, grease and stuff like that. There were two or three vehicles inside the structure that were burned and some damage to vehicles that were close to the building that got damaged as well."
Jones said it took 30 minutes to get the fire under control.
"It was a tough one. I was coming from
Jones said between 30 to 40 firefighters helped with the fire.
"The people that ran the facility did not get hurt, nor any of the firefighters," Jones said.
Jones said the building, a 70-year-old wooden structure with metal siding, is destroyed.
"The building is basically on the ground. It was burned up. There is no way they can go back in that building. It was burned completely up. There was lot of equipment that was lost inside the shop as far as tools and diagnostic tools and stuff like that," Jones said.
"It's been tough because Bryan just had back surgery
The family spent most of Sunday and Monday at the scene.
"We were just trying to go through and clean up and see if there was anything to salvage, and, of course, there is very little that could be salvaged," Haggans said.
Jones said the fire's cause hasn't been determined.
"I am just glad nobody got hurt," Jones said. "With a fire that big as big as it was, it being in the afternoon like that on a Friday afternoon, it was good to see nobody got hurt. Everybody was safe. Everybody worked together, all the fire departments that were there."
According to Jones, the property is owned by
The Hagganses have been renting the building for the last 11 years.
Jones said Wilson County EMS, the
"We've got a donation jar, and we are donating 50% of dessert sales for a month through
(c)2020 The Wilson Daily Times (Wilson, N.C.)
Visit The Wilson Daily Times (Wilson, N.C.) at www.wilsontimes.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.