Now a candidate for president, DeSantis starts taking on Trump by name [Miami Herald]
The comments, made over the course of a 12-interview media blitz with conservative news outlets on Thursday, signaled that the
They also indicated how DeSantis plans to attack the former president, using subjects like
“I’ll tell you, I don’t know what happened to Donald Trump,” DeSantis told
DeSantis in particular chided Trump for, in the governor’s words, “siding with Disney” during the ongoing dispute between the
“It seems like he’s running to the left,” said the governor, who in the same interview also knocked Trump’s position on abortion rights and his record on the national debt. “And I’ve always been somebody moored in conservative principles.”
Calibrating how often — and how harshly — to respond to Trump has been a longtime predicament for Republican politicians, many of whom have found that ignoring the attacks makes them look weak but often emerge the worse for wear when they do entangle with a man who revels in insults, many of them untethered to facts. No
In a statement, the Trump campaign dismissed DeSantis’ attacks, saying he was trying to distract attention from a faulty campaign launch Wednesday on Twitter, during which the governor was unable to speak for more than 20 minutes as the online platform kept crashing.
“Ron DeSantis can’t run away from his disastrous, embarrassing, and low-energy campaign announcement,” said Trump campaign spokesman
DeSantis enters the
Governor had avoided criticism, no more
In light of that deficit, allies of the governor have been waiting months for him to start firing back against Trump, cognizant that it was awkward to do so before he became a candidate, but now eager to see him more forcefully defend his record.
DeSantis had said repeatedly that he was focused on Florida’s legislative session, and made only passing references to Trump when speaking of the former president at all.
But the governor shed his hesitation to engage on Thursday, with a forcefulness that might have caught even some of his supporters by surprise.
Trump, DeSantis told conservative talk show host
“When he turned the country over to Fauci in March of 2020, that destroyed millions of lives,” DeSantis said.
The comment was quickly amplified online by DeSantis aides, who spent much of Thursday arguing with Trump officials over the pandemic and how both the governor and former president responded to it. That directness was in and of itself new from the governor’s aides, who had previously shied away from arguments with Trump aides and surrogates.
“What’s WORSE than caving to Fauci?,” tweeted DeSantis campaign spokeswoman
Whether the criticism will successfully convince Republican voters is not yet clear. Trumpwas regularly attacked as insufficiently conservative on issues ranging from abortion rights to gun control during the 2016 primary, but managed to overcome those doubts through force of personality and a promise to fight for Republican principles while in office. His policies as president were broadly popular with
The governor had not totally avoided criticizing Trump before this week, including when he chided him earlier this month for suggesting the state’s new six-week abortion ban was too strict. During the balance of his interviews DeSantis focused on his national agenda, repeatedly outlining his support for ending “woke” overreach in government.
The governor expressed his criticisms of Trump as a response to his rival’s attacks, arguing that he’s only defending himself and his record.
He added, however, that he’s happy to draw contrasts with Trump where necessary.
“He’s running attacks, attacking me for voting against an omnibus spending bill that he signed when he was president,” DeSantis told RealClearPolitics during a Wednesday interview. “Absolutely, I think he should not have signed those omnibus spending bills. He added almost
©2023 Miami Herald. Visit miamiherald.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


UniCredit and Mastercard Expand Payments Partnership
Senate Oks school safety boost
Advisor News
- Succession planning: Building the future of your practice
- From loss to security: Supporting widowed clients with life insurance
- Plan now for lower Social Security benefits later
- The conversation almost no advisor is having yet
- Why advisors should offer retirement-longevity planning
More Advisor NewsAnnuity News
- Empower Annuity Insurance Company of America Trademark Application for “EMPOWER WHAT’S NEXT” Filed: Empower Annuity Insurance Company of America
- Industry pushes back on linking ‘financial strength’ to annuity illustrations
- Sammons Enterprises & Sammons Financial Group Respond to Reports
- The Manhattan Life Insurance Company Acquires Union Security Life Insurance Company of New York
- Cayman Islands premier to meet with U.S. reinsurance regulators
More Annuity NewsHealth/Employee Benefits News
Life Insurance News
- An Application for the Trademark “LIVE TODAY, SECURE TOMORROW.” Has Been Filed by Security Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York: Security Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York
- Modern Woodmen board selects Shea Doyle as next president and CEO
- New Influenza Study Results from University of Auckland Described (Risk Management In Deadly Times: the Us Life Insurance Industry In the 1918-9 Influenza Pandemic): Influenza
- AM Best Assigns Credit Ratings to InEvo Re Ltd.
- Life Insurance Awareness Month: Time to Reassess Your Coverage
More Life Insurance News