Medicare's Open Enrollment Period, also called the annual election period, is
* Switch from original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan and vice versa.
* Join, drop or switch a Part D prescription drug plan, if you're on original Medicare.
* Switch to a different Medicare Advantage plan.
The Edmonds Waterfront Center (formerly the
SHIBA provides free, unbiased and confidential help with Medicare and other health care options to people of all ages and backgrounds across
"Our SHIBA volunteer advisors and staff provide consumers a really valuable service," said Insurance Commissioner
Medicare is not a one-size-fits-all program. Each person's needs, situation and benefits are different - and that includes spouses who may have their own unique Medicare plan. So before you make a final decision, consider these tips:
* Plan costs and coverage can change every year, so review and keep all letters and notices your current plan sends you.
* List all of the current prescription drugs you take, the doses and how often. Then, use the Plan Finder at www.medicare.gov to compare Part D plans.
* Review the 2022 Medicare & You handbook. You should receive it in the mail by mid-October.
* If you have questions, call SHIBA at 1-800-562-6900 before you sign up.
* Find an online SHIBA webinar at www.insurance.wa.gov/shiba.
To schedule your counseling appointment with a SHIBA volunteer, Monday through Friday:
* Find the phone number for the local SHIBA office near you at www.insurance.wa.gov/find-local-shiba-office
* Contact the program online at www.insurance.wa.gov/contact-washington-state-shiba-program
* Call 1-800-562-6900 and ask to speak with a SHIBA volunteer in your area.
Watch this Medicare videos on YouTube:
* SHIBA helps with Medicare choices
* Original Medicare vs. Medicare Advantage plans
* Deceptive marketing practices and Medicare health plans