OneAmerica® Emerges From “Pandemic Year” with Strong Capital Position and Profitable Growth
INDIANAPOLIS (June 15, 2021) – As the pandemic experience continues to recede and the world regains some normalcy, OneAmerica® looks back on the past year with noted achievements, including strong capital levels, profitable growth and nearly $98 billion in assets under administration. The mutual organization’s financial strength and stability were again affirmed by national ratings agencies, despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and global economic uncertainty.
“In 2020, we became a financial lifeline for those who needed us,” said Scott Davison, OneAmerica Chairman, President and CEO. “Even amid the chaotic disruption, OneAmerica had a strong year, exceeding our profit goal, increasing assets under administration to nearly
$98 billion and strengthening our balance sheet through a highly successful senior notes offering.”
OneAmerica continued its unwavering commitment to customers, delivering on claims, life insurance dividends and more than a 300% increase in complex hardship loans to those in emergency financial situations.
“Ultimately the most important measure of success we track is the $6 billion we paid out to customers,” added Davison. “We maintained our superior financial strength ratings, and as a mutual organization, our profits stay in the company to be invested in people, new technology and to support our long-term financial stability.”
Assets under administration for the enterprise increased nearly 13% to $97.7 billion, with a compounded annual growth rate of 6% over the past five years, while the enterprise customer- retention rate increased to 94%.
While sales were less than originally projected, net income was $129.0 million, 12.3% higher than 2019, demonstrating the diversification and strength of the companies of OneAmerica in a very challenging environment.
Foundationally, the continued financial strength of OneAmerica was noted by major rating agencies, providing assurance that its stability and governance were made to weather the uncertainties, just as they have previous historic economic conditions.
A.M. Best affirmed the A+ (Superior) rating for OneAmerica companies American United Life Insurance Company® (AUL) and The State Life Insurance Company® (State Life) on July 31, 2020. A+ (Superior) is the second highest of 15 possible ratings. In addition, the AA- rating assigned to AUL and State Life by Standard & Poor’s (S&P) was also affirmed on Sept. 14, 2020
– the fourth highest of 22 possible ratings.
OneAmerica remains among the top 8% of insurance companies, with both an A.M. Best rating of A+ or higher and S&P rating of AA- or higher*, and last year celebrated the 75th consecutive year for one of its companies, AUL, to be rated A or higher by A.M. Best. The historic ratings distinction places OneAmerica among the longest running top 20 of A.M. Best-rated insurance firms.
Additional information on OneAmerica is also available via the 2020 Annual Report, which includes not only financial data but updates on OneAmerica expanded efforts into national and community leadership roles, and commitment to addressing racial inequities and improving opportunities for all.
*Calculated by OneAmerica based on data provided by S&P Global Market Intelligence February 5, 2021. Dividends are not guaranteed.
# # #
A national provider in the insurance and financial services marketplace for more than 140 years, the companies of OneAmerica help customers build and protect their financial futures.
OneAmerica offers a variety of products and services to serve the financial needs of their policyholders and customers. These products include retirement plan products and recordkeeping services, individual life insurance, annuities, asset-based long-term care solutions and employee benefit plan products. Products are issued and underwritten by the companies of OneAmerica and distributed through a nationwide network of employees, agents, brokers and other sources who are committed to providing value to our customers. To learn more about our products, services and the companies of OneAmerica, visit oneamerica.com/about- us/companies-of-oneamerica.
Lou Ann Baker
Director of Enterprise Public Relations
- North Carolina woman wins $1 million on scratch-off
- Ohio National FIA rider offers guaranteed retirement income growth
- Lincoln Financial Group names Jim O’Boyle senior vice president, life & annuity
- Powerball, Mega Millions jackpots over $700M total, next drawing Monday
- DPL Financial Partners secures additional growth capital as annuity sales on platform top $1 billion
Health/Employee Benefits News
- CVS Medicare Advantage business takes quality rating hit
- Workplace life, DI and supplemental health premiums rebound in 2Q
- Doc who reaped $127M off sober-home drug tests pleads guilty to health care fraud
- Labor, supply, energy costs up at Washington hospitals, including PeaceHealth
- Priority Health, Kroger unveil co-branded health care plans
- Harry Hoopis to receive John Newton Russell Memorial Award
- MassMutual dedicates additional $100M to invest in diverse, first-time fund managers
- ACLI names 2023 chair and board of directors
- ACLI conference wraps up with a look at 2023’s regulatory landscape
- Insurers must reimagine work, ACLI speaker says