America's PrepareAthon! is a nationwide campaign held
"A culture of preparedness is the foundation for readiness and resilience that supports
The agency hosts events to raise awareness throughout National Preparedness Month in September, but the PrepareAthon! encourages employees to consider family and household emergency plans in the spring when disasters shift to includes threats such as hurricanes and wildfires.
The first step of preparing is knowing what disasters and hazards could affect the local area. Employees should then consider signing up for emergency alerts and warnings, develop a shelter plan and evacuation route, and share them with loved ones.
Employees can find step by step directions developed by the
Here are 10 ways to participate in America's PrepareAthon!
1. Sign up for local emergency alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts.
2. Create and test emergency communication plans.
3. Assemble or update emergency supply kits.
4. Conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions for local hazards.
5. Plan with neighbors and coworkers to help each other and share resources.
6. Participate in emergency preparedness training.
7. Conduct an exercise of a disaster scenario to review and improve your emergency plan.
8. Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage.
9. Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards.
10. Collect and safeguard critical documents.