LeadingAge is stepping up calls on
As part of a national
Sloan cited polling recently commissioned by LeadingAge showing that across party lines, Americans overwhelmingly support proposed investments for older adults:
* 86% support public investment in housing and support for low-income older adults to address the shortage and waiting lists that lead to homelessness, instability, and skipping meals and medicine to pay rent.
* 89% support public investment in affordable home care services to help older adults with essential needs like bathing and dressing, medication management, transportation, and basic daily chores.
* 85% agree that every American has a right to receive a basic level of housing, healthcare, and essential support regardless of age.
"For far too long, we have failed to adequately invest in affordable senior housing," added
LeadingAge's requests are drawn from LeadingAge's Blueprint for a Better Aging Infrastructure, which calls on the federal government to:
* Expand the supply of affordable senior housing by investing
* Provide a
* Provide internet access in affordable housing to ensure the more than 2.2 million older adults in federally subsidized affordable housing buildings have basic internet access.
Housing Providers Illuminate the Crisis
LeadingAge has recently hosted press events with housing providers who underscored how dire the problem is for millions of older adults.