He reported the fire around
Firefighters saved the structure and vented the smoke, but when it cleared, soot covered all their belongings; the baby's high chair had melted to the floor; and flames had destroyed the enclosed front porch, William's mother,
The Lees and their three children -- 12, 9 and 1 -- lost everything as a result of the smoke damage, she said.
"It's been pretty traumatic," Kathleen said. "They might have to look for a new place to live. It could be months."
The electrical fire erupted in the breaker box in the basement. The family did not have renters insurance, Kathleen said.
It was still unclear whether they will be able to move back into the residence when the electrical panel is replaced and the smoke and water damage is repaired, Kathleen said.
"Everything is kind of in limbo now," she added. "They like living where they were living, but they have to live somewhere."
She said the family will definitely need clothing and other items but that it was too early to list anything specific.
"Luckily, we have family that can help out," she said.
(c)2018 the Press-Republican (Plattsburgh, N.Y.)
Visit the Press-Republican (Plattsburgh, N.Y.) at pressrepublican.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.