Windham firefighters responded to the call just after
Derry, Londonderry and
Morgan said the fire began in a living room fireplace. Flames quickly spread to the attic, he said, requiring the first responders to create a ventilation hole in the roof.
"We believe (the house) is inhabitable at this point," Morgan said. "We're waiting on the insurance company, for the (ventilation) holes to be boarded up and for the building inspector to take a look."
A couple and their three month old child were home at the time. There were no reported injuries to them or the firefighters.
Electricity was temporarily shut down to the neighborhood while the fire was being extinguished.
Windham Helping Hands, a nonprofit organization that provides for local families in need, is assisting the family.
(c)2017 The Eagle-Tribune (North Andover, Mass.)
Visit The Eagle-Tribune (North Andover, Mass.) at www.eagletribune.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.