Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many Americans found visiting family and friends to be a challenge and others were unable to do so at all. As everyone preps for the new normal, many Americans are eager to get back on the road and enjoy some quality time with loved ones.
In a recent survey by ValuePenguin, more than 61% of Americans will visit family and friends before taking leisure vacations. As restrictions continue to ease, Americans will travel to these popular destinations: Florida, California, and New York for vacation.
- First upcoming trips will revolve around family and friends: 47% of Americans said the first trip they'll take when travel restrictions are lifted will be to visit family. Visiting friends came in second at 14%.
- Florida (13%), California (12%) and New York (8%) will be the first states respondents visit as travel restrictions are lifted. Other popular destinations include Texas (5%) and New Jersey (4%).
- Many consumers have already begun researching their next vacation, mainly seeking out potential destinations (17%), flight routes (14%) and hotels (10%). Very few have begun looking into restaurants or entertainment options.
- On average, Americans plan to spend $737 on their upcoming trip. Gen Xers will spend more than other age groups, and parents of kids under 18 plan to shell out more than $1,000.
- Just 23% plan to purchase travel insurance on their next trip. Men were more than twice as likely as women to say they'd purchase some form of trip protection.
- 1 in 5 consumers will spend part of their economic impact check on travel. That number jumps to more than a third of Gen Xers and about a quarter of millennials.
To view the full report, visit: https://www.valuepenguin.com/news/americans-plan-trips-coronavirus
ValuePenguin conducted an online survey of over 1,200 Americans, with the sample base proportioned to represent the overall population. The survey was fielded using Qualtrics.
About ValuePenguin.com: ValuePenguin.com, part of LendingTree (NASDAQ: TREE), is a personal finance website that conducts in-depth research and provides objective analysis to help guide consumers to the best financial decisions. ValuePenguin focuses on value, assessing whether the return of a decision is worth the cost or risk of that option, and how this stacks up with the other possible choices they may have. For more information, please visit www.valuepenguin.com, like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @ValuePenguin.