"It's terrifying that this would happen in a small-town, close-knit community like this," Ryan said. "Thirty-eight years I've been down here, and I've never seen anything like this."
Ryan was looking at the new
Glasgow, who said he learned about the fire while listening to his police scanner late Sunday, said he was shocked by the news.
"I walked the city four times while door-knocking this summer," he said. "A lot of people were disappointed with building a new
Said Williams: "I'm beyond disappointed. I've lived in
"The environment that led up to this event was extremely toxic and, unfortunately, I believe that it was designed to be toxic in order to distract voters from the facts and the real issues."
Halverson said the fire was called in around
That call came from
He said flames were 20 or 30 feet high and were visible from a mile away.
"I was the first on the scene," he said. "I didn't see anyone around the fire."
The sheriff's office put out a Code Red midday Monday to neighbors within 2 miles of the fire site, asking them to call the sheriff's department if they saw anything suspicious Sunday night.
"I can't believe it. I can't believe this has happened here," City Councilwoman Ryan said.
After hearing about the fire on his police scanner, Glasgow, who serves on the city council, said he went to the site about
"We don't know what happened down there," Glasgow said. "It's too early to say what the cause was."
Glasgow defeated Williams, who supported the new
Glasgow said last week that at Tuesday's city council meeting, he planned to ask the council, which voted 3-2 in February to build the new
"The sidewalks were supposed to be poured this week, and the driveway," he said. "If they wanted to, they could continue to work on it, but my hope is that they will vote to stop it."
Williams said it isn't appropriate for the council to decide whether to halt or continue work on the project while the fire is being investigated. "Any decisions about how to proceed will need to be done once we have a determination, and that could take a very long time," she said.
NOTHING TO CAUSE FIRE
He estimated the fire caused
Parkos, vice president of
He said the heat of the fire cracked the building's foundation and caused structural damage. "We would have to redo the foundation and start from square one," he said. "It wasn't something I wanted to wake up to this morning."
The structure was to replace the old
Thone said she had been in contact with the
"There was so much smoke," he said. "I've been here since 1968. Things like this don't happen here, not in our quiet little valley."
It took about 30 minutes for the
Anyone with information about the fire should call the sheriff's office at 651-430-7882.
(c)2016 the Pioneer Press (St. Paul, Minn.)
Visit the Pioneer Press (St. Paul, Minn.) at www.twincities.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.