* Age: 79
* Political party: Democratic-Farmer-Labor
* City or town of residence:
* What qualifies you to hold this position? My experience in government and my educational background qualify me for the
* What would your top priorities be if elected? Funding all-day pre-K education, providing free community college and technical college education, reducing student costs for higher education, paying a living wage to home health care providers and nursing home employees, fully funding the transportation needs of the state are a few of my priorities.
* What do you think is the primary role of government? The primary role of government is to provide those essential services to individuals and communities that cannot be provided through other means or by the federal government.
* Website or contact: jerrynewton.org
* Age: 50
* Political party: Republican
* City or town of residence: Blaine
* What qualifies you to hold this position? I approach life with the idea of listening to all sides of the issue and making a sound decision.
* What would your top priorities be if elected? Dedicated funding for our roads and bridges. We must take care of the infrastructure that supports our economy. Reform MNsure, Healthcare for all is a noble idea the implementation has been catastrophic. Family Budgets, our legislators continue to tax instead of finding alternate solutions. The people of my District are looking for real answers.
* What do you think is the primary role of government? The basic roles of the government are listed in the
* Website or contact: sanfordforsenate.com
(c)2016 the Pioneer Press (St. Paul, Minn.)
Visit the Pioneer Press (St. Paul, Minn.) at www.twincities.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.