Per eHealth report,
eHealth’s Medicare Choice and Impact report examines user sessions from more than 62,000 eHealth
“The burden of prescription drug costs is a major concern for
Potential savings with Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug (MA-PD) plans
- Only 7% of MA-PD enrollees who used eHealth’s drug coverage comparison tool were currently enrolled in the MA-PD plan providing optimal coverage for their prescription drugs.
- More than nine-in-ten (93%) could potentially save money by enrolling in a different MA-PD plan, according to eHealth’s analysis of drug regimens and plan options.
$1,417per year (or $118per month) was the average potential savings available to these consumers if they enrolled in the optimal MA-PD plan for their personal drug regimen.
Potential savings with stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs or Part D plans)
- Only 11% of PDP enrollees who used eHealth’s drug coverage comparison tool were currently enrolled in the PDP providing optimal coverage for their prescription drugs.
- Nearly nine-in-ten (89%) could potentially save money by enrolling in a different PDP, according to eHealth’s analysis of drug regimens and plan options.
$643per year (or $54per month) was the average potential savings available to these consumers if they enrolled in the optimal PDP for their personal drug regimen.
How does eHealth’s
eHealth’s prescription drug comparison tool estimates the out-of-pocket costs associated with prescription drug coverage under MA-PD and
In using the tool, consumers enter their zip code, the names and dosages of their prescribed medications, and the name of their current
Out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs may change year to year
Changes to one’s prescribed medications aside, the amount a
- The drugs covered by a plan
- The plan’s monthly premiums
- The plan’s annual deductible, coinsurance, and co-payments
- The plan’s drug tiers, which are used to assign different coinsurance amounts and co-payments to specific drugs
Any one of these changes may affect what an enrollee pays out of pocket for his or her drugs on the same MA-PD or Part D plan from one year to the next. In some cases, the lowest-cost plan for a
Potential cost savings for plan switchers
The table below details potential savings after calculating all costs — including monthly premiums, co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles — for people who used eHealth’s online
Potential average annual
% of users who could potentially
Stand-alone Prescription Drug
Combined Average Savings of
The actual savings estimated when a person uses the tool differ based on variables such as geographic location, plan availability and selection, and other factors. Benefits and coverage may also vary between plans. When selecting a plan, consumers should always be sure to check the plan details to confirm the accuracy of any estimate of plan costs and coverage.
This report analyzes more than 62,000 user sessions that occurred on eHealthMedicare.com and PlanPrescriber.com during the 2016 Annual Election Period (also called Annual Enrollment Period or AEP), which took place
The information users were required to provide in order to be counted as currently enrolled in a PDP or MA-PD plan included their zip code and the name of their existing PDP or MA-PD plan. In the user sessions used for this analysis, customers also included the names, dosages and frequency of any prescription drugs they were taking. Average annual savings were calculated as the difference between the customer’s total estimated out-of-pocket spending on their current plan — including monthly premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, and co-payments — and the estimated out-of-pocket spending on the plan recommended by eHealth’s
For price comparisons, this study assumes no changes in prescription or medical needs, as well as no changes in rates or drug prices during the applicable time period. The average savings presented in this report are based on user sessions that occurred during the last AEP on eHealthMedicare.com and PlanPrescriber.com only. These user sessions may not reflect the overall
For more health insurance news and information, visit eHealth's