Offers Post-Storm Tips for Homeowners
“Our thoughts are with all residents on Florida’s east coast who experienced the brunt of the damage from Hurricane Matthew,” said
Customers can also call 844-My-AIIC-1 or file a claim online at IntegrityStormResponse.com as quickly as possible to expedite the recovery process and help them avoid scams.
Beware of AOB – the storm after the storm
“After a storm, some unscrupulous contractors could try to take advantage of hard working Floridians who are simply trying to restore their homes,” says
All consumers should refrain from signing paperwork they don’t understand, especially any that include an Assignment of Benefits (AOB) clause. Such contracts include words to the effect of, “I transfer and assign any and all insurance rights, benefits and causes of action under my property insurance policy to the contractor.”
When consumers sign an Assignment of Benefits contract, they may give up their rights to their claim, including financial reimbursements and legal control. This allows contractors to bill the insurance company directly – and pocket the money without doing the repairs or charge inflated costs for their work, leaving the policyholder to pay the excess charges. In worst case scenarios, contractors could place a lien on a customer’s home for unpaid services – and contractor’s liens in
Post-storm recovery tips
American Integrity recommends following these steps if you’ve experienced damage to your home:
- Stay safe. If you need to vacate your home because it is unlivable, keep all of your receipts for temporary lodging and other expenses.
- File your claim right away.
- If you do not have a home inventory list, create a list of the damaged items and include as much information as possible, such as model and manufacturers’ numbers, receipts and photographs.
- Take photographs of the damage.
- Protect your property by making temporary, not permanent, repairs to prevent further damage.
- Read all paperwork carefully and ask for recommendations and credentials when selecting a contractor.
American Integrity Insurancepartners with Nexxus Solutions Group, a network of licensed and credentialed contractors who warranty their work for three years, for their customers’ post-loss home repairs. Nexxus Solutions Groupcan be reached at 1-855-963-9987.
It’s important to note that after a storm, American Integrity responds to claims based on severity. After helping customers who have been displaced from their homes, adjusters will reach out to policyholders based on the level of damage sustained by their home.
“While we’re striving to get the claims process started for all of our customers as quickly as possible, we’ve got to help those whose homes are uninhabitable first – providing them with shelter, food and clothing,” Heller says.
For more information about