|By Michael Hartranft, Albuquerque Journal, N.M.|
|McClatchy-Tribune Information Services|
That's among seven recommendations compiled by the group's PRC study committee and presented Wednesday to the agency. The League said it began a study to formulate positions in 2010 for the oft-criticized agency that regulates utilities and telecommunications in the state.
Funding the PRC through assessments on the industries it regulates, rather than funding tied to tax revenues, is the first recommendation.
"The main benefit would be that they would have funding based on the actual cost of regulation, not something that went up and down with the economy," committee member
The report says the assessments -- which would require statutory changes -- should be set annually based on a projected budget approved by
The report also recommends the PRC fund the
According to the PRC, 36 percent of its programs are funded through the general fund, while the other 64 percent is funded by other state funds drawn from assessments and fees. Those dollars support the
PRC chief of staff
The league also offers recommendations for increasing efficiency at the PRC and addressing corruption issues, including having a PRC inspector general to investigate complaints and conduct audits.
(c)2013 the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, N.M.)
Visit the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, N.M.) at www.abqjournal.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
We have detected that you are using an adblocker. The revenue we earn by advertisements allows us to publish quality content on InsuranceNewsNet.com.
If you wish to enjoy our content, please disable your adblocker and click the button below.
We hope you choose to whitelist our website and enjoy the content our team works hard to publish.