|By Emilee Eagar; Emilee Eagar Deseret News|
Though he was asleep, the long-time Napa resident said he had an instant awareness of what was happening.
"When the earthquake struck, I knew immediately what it was," he said, recalling the violent shaking that hit wine country eight days ago.
His wife, December, began to yell. He did the only thing he could think of - he embraced her and told her everything was going to be OK.
"Even though in my heart really, I had no idea. And was just as terrified as I'm sure she was in that moment."
The stillness of complete darkness and silence followed.
"I was thinking, why aren't my children screaming?" he said, recalling the moment when his panic began to rise.
They fumbled for light and made it down their hallway toward Claire, 4, and Jack, 6.
Moore heard Claire opening her door, but couldn't hear anything from his son's room.
"When I turned the knob and went to open the door, I couldn't get in because something was blocking it," he said. "I started to yell for him and that's when he started screaming."
Lesson 1: Remain calm. It was the screaming for the child, not the earthquake that concerned young Jack.
The 6.0 quake near Napa sent glass and furniture flying. It was Jack's dresser drawer that kept him locked in his room.
Lesson 2: Their family simply wasn't prepared.
"All the things that you're supposed to have, we don't," he said. "It's really ridiculous. I mean, we live in earthquake country."
And so do Utahns.
"We do live next to a sleeping giant," said
And much of what can be done, has not been done.
"We do have a significant number of older homes in
These unreinforced masonry dwellings, buildings that are made of brick without a wooden frame, are frequent among
According to a 2012 Catastrophic Earthquake Response Plan, there are 147,200 unreinforced masonry buildings in the 12 counties closest to the Wasatch Fault.
Ninety-two percent of the building stock in those counties is residential.
He said most policies do not include earthquake coverage.
"Don't assume that you have coverage," he said.
So far in 2014, Dougherty said
About every 30 years,
"We do have that risk and most of
"That's the worst-case scenario," she said.
An earthquake to the
"If there's a magnitude 7 (earthquake) we can expect severe shaking, major damage to buildings, injuries. Even, we would certainly expect deaths," she said.
Lesson 3: Have food and water.
"With all the other pressing demands of daily life, it's just something that, no pun intended, fell through the cracks," Moore said.
Lesson 4: The car. Their car in the garage is normally kept with the emergency brake on. Does it really matter? The night of the earthquake the brake wasn't secured and the car was jostled into the garage wall, causing damage.
When it comes to earthquake preparedness, Dougherty said it's all about baby steps.
"There is a lot to do and that's OK. Just start with something today, do one thing now, and then do something next week," he said. "Gradually build up to where you're in a really good state of preparedness."
Lesson 5: Do something. Dougherty's own family started with simple tasks like strapping their water heater to the wall, something he said took about 30 minutes and cost less than
In case of an earthquake, his family will have access to water and eliminated the chance of a gas leak or fire.
Another resource is the Be Ready Utah website which encourages Utahns to make a plan, get a kit, be informed and get involved.
Lesson 6: "Have a plan with your family," Whidden said. "There could be a fault scar, and by that I mean a vertical offset of five to 10 feet in the middle of the city where the fault is."
For example, parents working one side may not be able to get to children who attend school on the other.
Because there is no way of knowing how long you could be on your own in an emergency, Whidden recommends having at least a 72 hour kit.
Lesson 7: You may not want to turn off the gas. Dougherty said it is also important to know your own home, like where to shut off the water or gas. But turning off your gas isn't necessarily an immediate action.
"You should shut off your gas if you can see visible damage to your gas line, if you smell or hear natural gas escaping, then you want to make sure you shut that down."
Moore said he shut off the gas but then it took hours on the phone with the gas company to get the gas company to get it turned back on.
Dougherty also invited Utahns to do a home hazard hunt.
"Look around your home and look for those things that could fall over," he said.
That means TVs, pictures, vases, and anything that could go flying. Particularly furniture.
"Furniture to the earth is a play thing," he said. "That can be tossed over very easily."
Furniture and TV straps can keep things in place, and special putty can keep things on shelves. Keeping a pair of shoes or thick- soled slippers near your bed can protect feet from glass shards.
Whidden said it is best to prepare beforehand, but reminds Utahns they shouldn't live in constant fear.
"It's important to be prepared, but it's not something to panic about."
Looking back on his experience, Moore said he wishes he had been more calm in his response.
"I mean, I was panicked, you know," he said. "I was yelling for (my kids.)"
But, Moore is grateful for the outcome they did have.
"I'm so, so thankful that even in our ignorance, we don't have any shelving in our kids rooms, you know, near their beds," he said. "It could have really been a disaster for us."
Email: [email protected]
|Copyright:||(c) 2014 ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved.|