TUCSON, Ariz., July 9 -- The University of Arizona issued the following news release:
Father's Day Council Tucson recently celebrated six outstanding Tucson fathers - while also raising funds for the University of Arizona Steele Children's Research Center - at its 20th annual "Fathers of the Year Awards Dinner and Gala" at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort.
Last month's event raised approximately $205,000 for type 1 diabetes research, clinical programs, faculty recruitment and the "Father's Day Council Tucson Endowed Chair for Type 1 Diabetes" at the UA Steele Center.
This annual event honors men who have demonstrated they are dedicated fathers, outstanding community role models and successful in their chosen field.
This year's honorees were:
* David G. Hutchens, president and COO; UNS Energy, TEP, UES
* Omar Mireles, executive vice president, HSL Properties
* James H. Moore, Jr., president and CEO, UA Foundation
* Capt. Joshua Palochak, senior mission crew commander, U.S. Air Force
* Cody Ritchie, president, Crest Insurance
* Neal Weitman, general manager, Royal Automotive Group
Over the past 19 years, Father's Day Council Tucson has raised nearly $3.3 million for type 1 diabetes.
"We are so grateful for Father's Day Council Tucson," said Fayez K. Ghishan, MD, professor and head, UA Department of Pediatrics, and director of the UA Steele Center. "Their support enables us to advance our research, clinical programs and endowment."
Photos from the event can be viewed here: http://tinyurl.com/qd6t3qb
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140710-4793135 30TagarumaMar