NFIP Extends Flood Claim Period By 30 Days

Targeted News Service

MONTGOMERY, Ala., July 7 -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security'sFederal Emergency Management Agency issued the following news release:

The National Flood Insurance Program has extended the time period for filing flood claims for policyholders who experienced flooding during the April 28 through May 5 severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and flooding.

The NFIP normally requires flood claims to be filed within 60 days of the date of loss. However, NFIP is waiving this requirement and extending the deadline by 30 days for the 2014 mid-spring storms that began on April 28. This extension includes policyholders in Alabama.

The waiver applies to Standard Flood Insurance Policies issued directly by the Federal Emergency Management Agency or by private insurance companies participating in the NFIP's Write Your Own Program.

A policyholder with a flood loss that occurred on April 28, 2014 now has until July 27, 2014 to file a claim.

Please note -- the extended deadline to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for assistance and the U.S. Small Business Administration for low-interest loans remains the same - Tuesday, July 15.

Flood insurance policyholders should contact their agents or insurance companies to file a claim. An adjuster from the insurance company should contact you within a few days of filing a claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, call your insurance agent or company again.

When calling, make sure to have the following information at hand:

The name of your insurance company.

Your policy number.

A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times.

Remember, a flood insurance policy is usually separate from your homeowner's policy, which in most cases does not pay for flood claims.

Your adjuster will need to see evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

Take photographs of all damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage and standing floodwater levels.

Let's make dreams come true.

Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value and receipts, if possible.

Officials may require disposal of damaged items, so if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

Finally, your adjuster will provide you with a Proof of Loss form for your official claims for damages. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program or insurance company can make a payment.

You will receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate and signed Proof of Loss form. If major catastrophic flooding occurs, it may take longer to process claims and make payments due to the sheer number of claims submitted.

For general flood insurance questions, call the National Flood Insurance Call Center at 800-427-4661 directly, or through 711 Relay, or contact your insurance company or agent.

TNS 30VianaGem - 140709-4790759 30VianaGem

Copyright: (c) 2014 Targeted News Service
Wordcount: 478


  More Property & Casualty

More Property & Casualty >>
  Most Popular Property & Casualty

More Popular Property & Casualty >>
Hot Off the Wires  Hot off the Wires

More Hot News >>

insider icon Denotes premium content. Learn more about becoming an Insider here.
Let's make dreams come true.