Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks of First National Bank, Lenoir City, Tenn.
|Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc.|
Counterfeit Cashier's Checks
Counterfeit Cashier's Checks of
To: Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair,
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks using a correct routing number of 064201243 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a secret-shopper scam.
While the counterfeit checks resemble the bank's authentic checks, counterfeit items may be identified by several traits:
- The check contains the words "PAY TO THE ORDER OF" next to the payee line.
- The signature of
- A padlock icon and the letters "NP" appear in the bottom right-hand corner of the check.
- On the reverse side of the check, a payee signature box appears at the top that includes this security statement: "WARNING: THE BACK OF THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS A SIMULATED WATERMARK. HOLD AT 45 [degrees]
- A security box with a padlock icon and security statement appears in the bottom portion of the reverse side of the check.
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in the amount of
The bank has reported that the secret-shopper scam works as follows. Potential victims are initially contacted through e-mails from
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- If correspondence is received via the
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the
See original table at: http://www.occ.gov/news-issuances/alerts/2014/alert-2014-14.html
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resource page at http://www.occ.gov/topics/consumer-protection/fraud-resources/index-fraud-resources.html.
Director for Enforcement and Compliance
|Copyright:||(c) 2012 Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc.|