Here’s a rundown on the changes of keenest interest to insurance advisors...
WASHINGTON, Nov. 8 -- The House Energy and Commerce Committee issued the following fact sheet:
"[W]e will keep this promise to the American people: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what."
-President Obama, Remarks Before the American Medical Association (June 15, 2009)
* Across the country, millions of Americans are losing their health coverage despite repeated promises from the president and his administration that if you like your health plan, you can keep it.
* The president made this promise as recently as September 26, 2013: "The first thing you need to know is this: If you already have health care, you don't have to do anything."
* On October 28, NBC reported that the administration has known for years it could not keep this promise. According to the report, 50 to 75 percent of Americans who purchase insurance in the individual market can expect to receive a cancellation letter or the equivalent over the next year.
* NBC notes that these cancellations should not have "come as a shock" to the administration. Buried in regulations issued in June of 2010, the administration stated "the percentage of individual market policies losing grandfather status in a given year exceeds the 40 to 67 percent range".
* According to the Associated Press, 3.5 million people on the individual insurance market have already seen their health plan cancelled.
* Rather than help the millions of Americans receiving cancellation notices, the administration and its surrogates have backpedaled, stating that the promise is true for the "majority" of people or telling Americans that the federal government knows their health care needs better than they do.
* Meanwhile, the administration's false promises continue to receive pinocchios from major news outlets like the Washington Post.
* On November 7, President Obama said, "I am sorry that they are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me." But that apology means nothing without action.
* The Keep Your Health Plan Act would give Americans an escape hatch from Obamacare's expensive premiums and broken website riddled with security risks.
* H.R. 3350 would allow plans available on the individual market today to be offered next year. This would provide millions of Americans the opportunity to keep their policies in 2014.
* The bill also would ensure that Americans keeping their plans would not face a penalty under Obamacare's individual mandate.
TNS 30FurigayJof-131109-4544296 30FurigayJof