Workers expect their defined contribution plans to play a greater role in their retirement income than annuities.
WASHINGTON, June 25 -- The House Democratic Caucus issued the following news release:
Today, Congressman Xavier Becerra (CA-34), Chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, released the following statement to mark 100 days until Americans can select their own policy in the new health insurance marketplaces:
"One year ago, the Supreme Court reaffirmed the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act. As a result, in fewer than one hundred days, millions of Americans will have the opportunity to secure their own affordable health insurance, putting families back in control of their health care with more protections and choices.
"This week, the new and improved www.HealthCare.gov website was launched alongside a 24-hour toll-free call center to ensure that all Americans who need health care have the information they need to compare insurance plans that will be available to them. So, until October 1, it's up to members of Congress from both parties to do all that we can to empower Americans with the tools and resources they need to gain access to quality affordable health care."
Already over the last three years, due to the Affordable Care Act, numerous patient protections and consumer cost savings have gone into effect, benefiting millions of Americans, including:
* 6.6 million young adults up to age 26 have obtained insurance through their parents' plans, of whom 3.1 million would be uninsured without this coverage.
* 6.3 million people with Medicare have saved over $6.1 billion on their prescription drugs.
* 34 million people with Medicare have received a free preventive service.
* 71 million privately insured people have gained access to free preventive services.
* 105 million Americans have had lifetime limits removed from their insurance.
* $1.1 billion in rebates from health insurance companies last summer helped benefit nearly 13 million Americans.
The new consumer-focused www.HealthCare.gov website and new toll-free call center, 1-800-318-2596, are designed to help Americans who are looking for health coverage prepare for open enrollment and ultimately sign up for private health insurance.
TNS 30FurigayJof -130626-4404256 30FurigayJof