|PR Newswire Association LLC|
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please visit: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/49916-state-farm-top-ten-states-dog-bite-claims-american-humane-association
Top 10 states for State Farm Dog Bite Claims in 2011
|Number of claims|
Claims paid (estimated)
State Farm® paid more than
A dog's tendency to bite depends on such factors as heredity, obedience training, socialization, health, and the victim's behavior. There are good dogs and bad dogs within every breed, just as there can be responsible and irresponsible owners of each breed.
Children and seniors are frequent victims of dog bites. In fact, more than half of all dog bite victims are children.
"Among children, the rate of dog bite-related injuries is highest for those ages 5 to 9 years," says Dr.
In addition to stressing responsible pet ownership,
- NEVER leave a baby or small child alone with a dog.
- Be on the lookout for potentially dangerous situations.
- Start teaching young children -- including toddlers -- to be careful around pets.
- Children must be taught NOT to approach strange dogs.
- Always ask permission from a dog's owner before petting any dog.
About State Farm®