|PR Newswire Association LLC|
Top 10 States for State Farm Dog Bite Claims in 2011
Number of claims
Claims paid (estimated)
State Farm® nationally paid more than
A dog's tendency to bite depends on such factors as heredity, obedience training, socialization, health, and the victim's behavior. There are good dogs and bad dogs within every breed, just as there can be responsible and irresponsible owners of each breed.
It's not the breed, it's the bite is one of the reasons that
Avoiding The Bite
Children and seniors are frequent victims of dog bites. In fact, more than half of all dog bite victims are children. In addition to stressing responsible pet ownership,
- NEVER leave a baby or small child alone with a dog.
- Be on the lookout for potentially dangerous situations.
- Start teaching young children -- including toddlers -- to be careful around pets.
- Children must be taught NOT to approach strange dogs.
- Always ask permission from a dog's owner before petting any dog.
For more information about dog bite prevention, visit the
About State Farm®: