No Hassle Cruising Limits Now Come with BoatUS Insurance
|Targeted News Service|
Often the last question that boaters ask before departing on a long cruise to the
BoatUS has solved the problem with a new upfront, "no-hassle" cruising limit extension for popular cruising destinations that can be set up at the beginning of a boat's insurance policy. This one-time approval gives the boater the coverage they need, eliminates surprises and takes away the hassle of having to ask each year or pay for an extension every time they depart home waters.
"The old way was whenever a boater wanted to leave their local waters for a long summer cruise or a big race, they would have to apply to their insurance company for an extension, which was usually issued in 15-day increments and required additional premium," said BoatUS Vice President of Marine Insurance
Some of the more common reasons to need a cruising extension are sailors that participate in rallies such as the
Here are seven tips on cruising extensions:
1. A large number of "multi-line" (car/home/boat) insurance companies only offer extensions for US and Bahamian waters. If cruising outside theses regions is in your future, you'll have better luck with marine specialty insurer.
2. In the
3. For offshore passages, some insurance companies require a minimum of four or five experienced crew. For boats with older owners who may have physical limitations, insurance companies also like to see a balanced crew.
4. Offering safety in numbers, rallies and regattas can be an opportune time for a novice to get a "foot in the door" on long-distance cruising. They also offer formalized safety planning and a highly organized approach that is appealing to first-time cruisers.
5. Have a safety equipment list ready when applying for a cruising extension. The basics include an EPIRB (which can be rented for
6. Some insurance companies will require a "condition and value" survey, a "rigging survey" or an "engine survey" before they will issue an extension.
7. Additionally, in
TNS cp -120419-JF78-3844589 StaffFurigay
|Copyright:||(c) 2012 Targeted News Service|