WASHINGTON, July 11 -- Rep. Fortney J. 'Pete' Stark, D-Calif. (13th CD), issued the following alert:
E-ALERT: Americans Want Jobs, Not Health Reform Repeal
Once again, the Republican House Majority refuses to focus on Americans' top priorities: getting our economy back on track and creating jobs. Instead, we voted today -- for the 31st time -- to consider repeal of the health reform law. I voted NO, but the House passed the mostly party line bill 244 - 185. Not only was this a colossal waste of time, it shows that those who support repeal would put Americans' health at risk and put insurance companies back in charge.
Repeal of health reform would mean:
* 6.6 million young adults would lose the guarantee of being allowed to obtain insurance coverage on their parents' health insurance plans.
* 17 million children with pre-existing conditions could again be denied health insurance coverage.
* 105 million Americans would again be subject to lifetime limits on health insurance -- which could stop coverage when they need it most.
* 12.8 million Americans who are due over $1 billion in rebates from the health insurance industry this year would never see that financial relief.
* The more than 5.3 million Medicare beneficiaries who have been helped with high drug costs would see that assistance disappear.
* The 86 million people who have already received life-saving preventive benefits free-of-charge would lose access to that vital benefit.
For more detailed information about how the health reform law works for you and other Americans, please visit healthcare.gov.
To read my full statement on today's repeal vote, click here.http://stark.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2437:floor-statement-opposing-the-republicans-31st-attempt-to-repeal-health-reform-law&catid=88:floor-statements-2012&Itemid=500236
To read my full statement on the Supreme Court's decision to uphold the law, click here.http://stark.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2431:press-releas-stark-statement-on-supreme-court-ruling-that-obamacare-is-constitutional&catid=89:press-releases-2012&Itemid=500235
Please come discuss these and other issues with me at one of my next town hall meetings on Saturday, July 21st.
TNS MJ88-120714-3951090 StaffFurigay