Notice Type: Sources Sought Notice
Posted Date: 12-JUL-12
Office Address: Department of Health and Human Services; Health Resources and Services Administration; Office of Acquisitions Management and Policy; 5600 Fisher Ln. Room 13A-19 Rockville MD 20857
Subject: NPDB-HIPDB Users Survey
Classification Code: R - Professional, administrative, and management support services
Solicitation Number: 12-250-SOL-00156
Contact: Elizabeth B. Downey, Contract Specialist, Phone 301-443-0332, Fax 301-443-5462, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Description: Department of Health and Human Services
Health Resources and Services Administration
Office of Acquisitions Management and Policy
This is a SOURCES SOUGHT NOTICE to determine the availability and capability of small businesses (including certified 8(a), Small Disadvantaged, and HUBZone firms; veteran and service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses, and women-owned small businesses) to conduct the NPDB-HIPDB Users Survey. This survey will need to accomplish the following: 1. The Government will assess the overall satisfaction of users of the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) and the Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank (HIPDB) with the processes for reporting to and querying of the Data Banks and the timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of the information received, 2. The Government will describe the characteristics of non-registered non-users and investigate why they are not using the Data Banks, and 3. An analyzable data file will be constructed by merging the survey data with existing administrative data from the Data Banks. The purpose of the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) is to improve the quality of health care by requiring State licensing boards, hospitals and other health care entities and professional societies to identify those practitioners who engage in unprofessional behavior, and to restrict the ability of incompetent physicians, dentists, and other health care practitioners from moving State to State without disclosure or discovery of previous medical malpractice payment and adverse action history. These adverse actions could pertain to professional licensure, clinical privileges, and professional society memberships.
The purpose of the Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank (HIPDB) is to combat fraud and abuse in the health insurance industry and in health care delivery. HIPDB information is intended to be used in combination with information from other sources in making determinations on employment, affiliation, certification, or licensure decisions. The information in the HIPDB should serve as a flagging system to alert U.S. Government and State agencies and health plans that there may be a problem with the performance of a particular practitioner, provider, or supplier.
A sample of specific research questions to be addressed would be as follows:
1. To what extent are different types of users satisfied with the reporting, querying, and information disclosure processes 2. Is NPDB and HIPDB information received by queriers perceived to be accurate, complete, and timely 3. For what types of decisions do querying entities use NPDB and/or HIPDB information and how useful do they perceive NPDB and/or HIPDB information to be for each type of decision 4. How do NPDB and/or HIPDB query results (including both matches and no-matches) impact decisions made by querying entities, i.e. how often are the decisions different because of query results and to what extent do query results make querying entities more or less confident about their decisions 5. How often does the fact that a practitioner has a report in the NPDB and/or HIPDB, in itself, affect decisions regarding licensure or granting clinical privileges to a practitioner 6. What formal and informal punitive and/or collegial actions are taken by entities to address practitioner incompetence or misconduct
The Contractor will be required to:
1. Prepare Literature Review to Obtain Background Information on Studies Overlapping Current Study, Study Design.
2. Based on Literature Review, Develop General Analysis Plan, Survey Methodologies, Questionnaires Data Editing and Coding Procedures, and Code Structures.
3. Modify Data Instruments and Sampling Scheme
4. Conduct surveys
5. Prepare Data Analysis
6. Prepare and submit Draft and Final Reports and Data File.
In addition, it is preferable that the Contractor has experience working with federal contracts meeting deadlines while maintaining flexibility in the work process.
A firm fixed price type contract is anticipated, for two years (24 months). The NAICS Code is 541910 with a small business size standard of $14.0M.
Interested small business potential offerors are encouraged to respond to this notice. However, be advised that generic capability statements are not sufficient for effective evaluation of respondents' capacity and capability to perform specific work as required. Responses must directly demonstrate company's capability, experience, and/or ability to marshal resources to effectively and efficiently perform each of the tasks described above at a sufficient level of detail to allow definitive numerical evaluation; and evidence that the contractor can satisfy the minimum requirements listed above while in compliance with FAR 52.219-14 ("Limitations on Subcontracting"). Failure to definitively address each of these factors will result in a finding that respondent lacks capability to perform the work.
Responses to this notice shall not exceed 30 single-spaced pages, excluding attachments, and must include:
1. Company name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone and FAX numbers, website address (if available), and the name, telephone number, and e-mail address of a point of contact having the authority and knowledge to clarify responses with Government representatives.
2. Name, title, telephone number, and e-mail addresses of individuals who can verify the demonstrated capabilities identified in the responses.
3. Business size for NAICS 541910 (size standard $14.0M or number of employees) and status, if qualified as an 8 (a) firm (must be certified by SBA), Small Disadvantaged Business (must be certified by SBA), Woman-Owned Small Business, HUBZone firm (must be certified by SBA), and/or Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (must be listed in the VetBiz Vendor Information Pages).
4. DUNS number, CAGE Code, Tax Identification Number, and company structure (Corporation, LLC, partnership, joint venture, etc.). Companies also must be registered in the Central Contractor Registry (CCR, at www.ccr.gov) to be considered as potential sources.
5. Identification of the firm's GSA Schedule contract(s) by Schedule number and contract number and SINs that are applicable to this potential requirement are also requested.
6. If the company has a Government approved accounting system, please identify the agency that approved the system.
Please submit copies of any documentation such as letters or certificates to indicate the firm's status (see item #3, above).
Teaming arrangements are acceptable, and the information required above on the company responding to this announcement, should also be provided for each entity expected to be teammates of the respondent for performance of this work.
To the maximum extent possible, please submit non-proprietary information. Any proprietary information submitted should be identified as such and will be properly protected from disclosure.
This notice is for planning purposes only, and does not constitute an Invitation for Bids, a Request for Proposals, a Solicitation, and a Request for Quotes, or an indication the Government will contract for the items contained in this announcement. This request is not to be construed as a commitment on the part of the Government to award a contract, nor does the Government intend to pay for any information submitted as a result of this request. The Government will not reimburse respondents for any cost associated with submission of the information being requested or reimburse expenses incurred to interested parties for responses to this announcement.
Responses to this notice must be received by the Contracting Officer not later than 1:00 pm eastern standard time on July 23, 2012 for consideration. Please forward responses via e-mail to email@example.com
Responses to this announcement will not be returned, nor will there be any ensuing discussions or debriefings of any responses. However, information obtained as a result of this announcement may be reflected in the subsequent solicitation, and HRSA may contact one or more respondents for clarifications and to enhance the Governments' understanding. This announcement is Government market research, and may result in revisions in both its requirements and its acquisition strategy based on industry responses.
Point of contact:
Elizabeth B. Downey, Contract Specialist, Phone: 301-443-0332, Fax: 301-443-5462, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org